Nick Kyrgios has found a new way to earn a dollar while injury keeps him off the tennis court, announcing he has joined OnlyFans.
The 28-year-old appears set to miss the Australian Open for a second straight year but recent TV appearances have kept him in the public eye.
Now his followers can get even more of Kyrgios if they subscribe to his new venture.
Watch the latest sport on Channel 7 or stream for free on 7plus >>
“It just got a whole lot crazier. Join me on OnlyFans!” the Aussie wrote.
Kyrgios, who described being signed by the company as a “no-brainer”, has offered a behind-the-scenes look into “everything from on-court to everyday life”.
Kyrgios nowhere to be seen in major Australian Open development
Aus Open cops blowback over ‘harsh’ move against Aussie No.1
“They are revolutionising social media and I wanted to be a part of that. Athletes can no longer just show up on the court or the field, we have to show up online too,” Kyrgios said in a statement on Thursday.
“I want to create, produce, direct and own content. That’s the future. I’ve been speaking to my fans directly for years and I know what they want to see.
“Of course, there’ll be tennis balls involved, tips, tricks and behind the scenes, but also they’ll get to see all different sides of me. Gaming, tattoos, my intimate side — it’s all on the table and I’ll be bringing fans along for the ride!”
Nick Kyrgios has promised ‘behind the scenes’ updates. Credit: Instagram
Initial updates featured photos from a hike with girlfriend Costeen Hatzi, his recent interview with Piers Morgan and his upcoming podcast.
But Kyrgios’s career move also sent a 2021 Instagram story viral all over again.
In the post, Kyrgios said he had “never felt more insulted” than when he was compared to his old friend Bernard Tomic.
“Does he have a foundation? Does he have the accomplishments? Did he raise money for the bushfires?” Kyrgios wrote.
“It’s disgusting, man.
“Do your research, also I ain’t f****** with anyone who does Onlyfans.”
Tomic appeared on the platform with his then girlfriend but changed his tune after they split.
“Biggest regret of my life,” he said, alongside a selfie burying his face in his hands in embarrassment.
Bernard Tomic has described his appearance on OnlyFans as his “biggest regret”. Credit: Instagram
OnlyFans began as a social media platform for anyone wanting to produce videos and photos to share with subscribing fans, but the UK-based company quickly became known for sexually explicit and other adult content.
In August 2021, OnlyFans announced it would ban sexually explicit content, under pressure from its banking partners, but the company reversed the decision days later following a backlash from content creators.
Sex workers said they had helped create the company’s success and popularity only to be left in the dust. OnlyFans said it was eventually able to secure funding to continue allowing all manner of content on its platform.
OnlyFans told CNN on Thursday that it has paid out over $10 billion to creators since it was founded in 2016.
Kyrgios has opened his Onlyfans account at a time when his future in tennis remains uncertain.
Nick Kyrgios is on holiday in the US ahead of the Australian summer of tennis. Credit: Getty
The 2022 Wimbledon finalist has played just one match in the past year, having been struck down by knee and wrist injuries.
Just when he will return to the court is unclear but it is all but certain he will not make an appearance in the Australian summer.
He has repeatedly flagged the likelihood that he would miss the Melbourne grand slam, saying in November that “the stars would need to align” for him to get back in time.
In an interview last week the 28-year-old gave no indication he would be ready to return to the court any time soon.
And there were no surprises when the entry list was published this week, with Kyrgios nowhere to be seen among a slew of injury-hit players using protected rankings to enter the grand slam.
– with CNN, 7NEWS